Guest vicky nunes

TPP217: The property boom you don't know about

Okay so this sounds like it could be a bit of a click bait podcast episode but we promise you it's not. This is a really important one, and you won't want to miss out. 

Listen to the episode in full here and let us know what you think. 

Are you excited, scared, something else entirely?

Just wanted to thank you for this excellent podcast. This definitely put the fire in my belly in terms of investing in and around Manchester. I was astounded by the level of overseas investment into UK property and the approach that developers (including those in Manchester) are taking in relation to selling units directly to overseas investors. It certainly is an indicator that Manchester is a good place to be investing in right now. 

So I guess I am excited, scared and a little patriotic. I guess in some roundabout way I also feel as a UK citizen that purchasing UK property will only help support the UK economy.. just as long as I do not spend too much of the proceeds elsewhere! 

Susan

Great podcast again, but I'd be interested to hear the Rob's opinions on where in the cycle they believe Manchester currently is. The news story about Brin reminded RD of London in 2006, which was either one or two years before the crash. The last two years in a cycle are known as "The Winner's curse".

is this the time to buy?

Hey all,

I'd love to know what you think about this episode.

Leave your comments below

Cheers

2 hours ago, chris b said:

Great podcast again, but I'd be interested to hear the Rob's opinions on where in the cycle they believe Manchester currently is. The news story about Brin reminded RD of London in 2006, which was either one or two years before the crash. The last two years in a cycle are known as "The Winner's curse".

is this the time to buy?

Hey Chris,

Thanks for the great feedback.

Rob said 2006 because he was buying then, but this also happen in London five years ago and many parts of the South East 2-3 years ago.

Manchester has only just started getting going and the majority UK investors are still not awake to what's happening.

Look out for the ripple effect too, other areas close by will benefit in years to come.

Cheers 

17 hours ago, Susan C said:

Just wanted to thank you for this excellent podcast. This definitely put the fire in my belly in terms of investing in and around Manchester. I was astounded by the level of overseas investment into UK property and the approach that developers (including those in Manchester) are taking in relation to selling units directly to overseas investors. It certainly is an indicator that Manchester is a good place to be investing in right now. 

So I guess I am excited, scared and a little patriotic. I guess in some roundabout way I also feel as a UK citizen that purchasing UK property will only help support the UK economy.. just as long as I do not spend too much of the proceeds elsewhere! 

Susan

Hey Susan,

This podcast stirred emotion in both Rob and me too. Fear, excitement, etc.

Even after witnessing it first hand, I still find it a little bit nuts and hard to believe.

I'm just pleased we could share what's happening.

Thanks!

Agreed, it was a very good episode.

Perhaps a good podcast topic?... 'How a small UK investor can compete in an area with huge foreign investment'

Great podcast guys, and for me very close to home.

Finding deals is becoming more difficult with many being sold within days, I'm trying to find off market deals so as not to compete with these big cash buyers.

Great podcast and very informative as to why the prices are rising.

Having seen one of my houses in Salford almost double in value in only a few years, I'd love to know if you think prices in Manchester will continue on a continuous upward trend over the next 5/7 years or perhaps slow at some point?

Also, as wage growth is low, do you think rents will continue to rise in line with house price growth in Manchester?

On 2017-5-14 at 4:27 PM, jamesb said:

Agreed, it was a very good episode.

Perhaps a good podcast topic?... 'How a small UK investor can compete in an area with huge foreign investment'

Great idea James, consider it added to our list.

5 hours ago, stuart dodds said:

Great podcast and very informative as to why the prices are rising.

Having seen one of my houses in Salford almost double in value in only a few years, I'd love to know if you think prices in Manchester will continue on a continuous upward trend over the next 5/7 years or perhaps slow at some point?

Also, as wage growth is low, do you think rents will continue to rise in line with house price growth in Manchester?

Wow double that's incredible, congratulations.!

You've certainly beat the market, Manchester has only been increasing at any noticeable level for the last two years and judging by historical cycles it suggests it has a long way to go.

Have a look at this link if you want to dig into the data.

https://www.hometrack.com/uk/insight/uk-cities-house-price-index/

Cheers! 

Probably the first time I have clicked on clickbait and not regretted it!  Really enjoyed the discussion and rationale behind it.  I have been thinking of buying a few properties in Manchester this year and this has pushed me in the that direction even more so. Thanks chaps :)

i have saved a sizable deposit of 25k but dont know whether i should jump now and invest sooner or wait a year with a deposit close to 35k-40k. guys what would you recommend? :o

Another great episode.

I have seen this first hand, I used to live in Hong Kong (2011 - 2013) and witnessed first hand developers targeting the Chinese market directly. It wasn’t just UK developers targeting the Chinese market, even Hong Kong developers went straight to Chinese investors, I regularly heard of Chinese investors snapping up multiple units in new builds in the area I lived (Discovery Bay). There was also a huge market for US repossession stock which I have never seen offered to the UK market.

I believe Hong Kong introduced a higher stamp duty on foreign buyers to cool overseas investment. Perhaps the UK will introduce this via another tiered stamp duty rate i.e. one rate for owner occupiers, one rate for local investors and another for overseas investors (if this doesn’t already exist?)

Great episode, I have had Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds and Hull in mind for investment in the near future. This episode pretty much confirmed that it will be Manchester. Does anyone have any experience investing there, and where specifically they have been investing?

On 2017-7-13 at 2:55 PM, simon flynn said:

Great episode, I have had Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds and Hull in mind for investment in the near future. This episode pretty much confirmed that it will be Manchester. Does anyone have any experience investing there, and where specifically they have been investing?

Hi Simon, im currently investing in south manchester and stockport. Just instructed a solicitor for a 2 bed terrace purchase in Denton today.

Flip properties are becoming increasingly difficult to acquire as there is so much competition but still some good sub 100k properties knocking about

Brilliant podcast! I knew the Manchester market was increasing but I never envisaged it booming in such a way. I have around £30k deposit and was considering Liverpool city centre as you get more for your money in comparison to Manchester. But after listening to this I'm straight on rightmove looking in Manchester.

I have a city centre flat and it's value has increased by £65k in 3 years so I'm using the equity to reinvest.

What are the areas of Manchester people are recommending? And the places to avoid? Is Salford worth investing in? Stretford? How far south should I be looking?

I am new to the Property Hub and have been making my way through the podcasts over the recent weeks. I heard this podcast this morning. Rob B mentioned that not many investors in the UK will know about Manchester, still for the next 2-3 years, so there is further capital growth to be had. However, I feel with the headlines Manchester has been getting in the media, then perhaps it is already too late?