You’ll have heard people say that property doubles in price every 10 years – but is it true? This week we dug into the data to get to a real answer, and explored what it means for us as investors.
- The different data sources, and the peculiarities of each
- How long it really does take property to double historically
- The longest and shortest times it’s ever taken property to double
- The reasons why property goes up in price
- What we can expect to happen in the future
- The danger of using “averages” to invest…
- …and how to lower the risk of your portfolio under-performing
There’s a lot in there, so listen to the episode for all the details!
News this week
There are now two London property booms going on – with the second one being online. The new .London domain name suffix has been issued, and experts are predicting a rush of companies trying to grab relevant names before anyone else does.
Rob D is a purist and thinks the whole thing sounds daft, but maybe he’s just bitter that he didn’t think to grab property.london…
Resource of the week
One of the most popular discussions in The Property Hub is around whether you should rent or buy your own home. We’ve shared a rent/buy calculator as a resource in the past, but a listener pointed us towards an excellent new one from The Telegraph.
By putting in your region and some basic figures, the calculator tells you how many years you’d need to live somewhere for buying to work out cheaper than renting. So if it’s something you’ve been wrestling with, check it out and see how the numbers stack up.
Mentions this week
- We’re re-opening The Property Hub Plus on 1 May! It’s not been open to new members since January, but we’re now ready to open up the courses, masterminds and private discussions to another group of investors. If you’re keen, get on the waiting list here and you’ll get a chance to grab your place before anyone else.
- RMP Property is hiring again: Rob is on the lookout for superstars, so if that’s you and you’d like to join his team here’s how to apply.
Join the conversation!
Do you make any assumptions about the increase in property prices when you’re planning your investments? Were you surprised by any of the numbers we shared in this episode?
We’ve got a dedicated thread for this episode, so join the discussion in The Property Hub!
If you enjoyed The Property Podcast, please leave a review on iTunes
Reviews are really important in helping other people to find the show, so by way of thanks we read out every single review we receive.
If you’d like to hear your name on the show, leave us a review on iTunes here.
Not sure how to do it? This video shows you how to review and subscribe.